Legal Issues in Transportation of Students With Special Needs
Date: March 22, 2017
Time: 12:15 pm – 1:30 pm
Join your colleagues by webinar and/or telephone for a presentation and discussion with:
Kimberly Colanna, McNees Wallace & Nurick LLC, Chair of Education Law and practices in the Litigation Group
Moderator: John Zimmerman, Driver Qualifications Section Manager, Bureau of Driver Licensing, Driver Safety Division, PA Department of Transportation, Driver and Vehicle Services
Webinar link and dial in number will be emailed prior to the event.
Intended Audience: School Transportation Personnel, Special Education Personnel and CPS Technicians
The presentation will provide an overview of the provisions of federal law that address the transportation of students with disabilities and a discussion of how local educational agencies make decisions about the transportation services provided to students with disabilities. The program will address the tips and techniques that promote the safe and legally appropriate transportation and recommended training for drivers of students with special needs. The intersection of transportation and the legal requirements and restrictions that apply to behavior management, medical procedures, school health services, service animals, and comfort animals will be addressed. Finally the presentation will review summaries of lawsuits involving the transportation of students with disabilities and the lessons learned from those situations.
- Discuss the legal requirements related to the transportation of persons with disabilities.
- Identify necessary training for drivers of students with special needs to perform their duties safely and legally.
- Discuss behavior management techniques and health services that drivers of students with special needs can be requested to implement to promote the safety of students during transportation.
- Discuss examples of how to reduce the risk of potential harm and legal liability for individuals and agencies that transport students with disabilities.
This webinar has been pre-approved as an on-line educational session to meet the Communty Education CPS re-certification requirement.
If you would like to order materials for use, please visit our online resource center here or call 1-800-CAR-BELT.
Legal Issues in Transportation of Students with Special Needs Webinar Recording click here.
- School Transportation Registration (PDF)
- Request Attendance Certificate (PDF)
- Legal Issues in Transportation of Special Needs Students PPT (PDF 6 / slides per page)