Developing Safe Evacuation Plans for Students with Special Needs
- Date: March 24, 2021
- Time: 12:15 pm – 1:30 pm
- Intended Audience: CPSTs/CPSTIs, School Transporters, and Medical Community working with School Transportation
Join your colleagues for a presentation by and discussion with:
- Speaker: Susan Shutrump, OTR/L, Supervisor OT/PT Services, Trumbull County Educational Service Center
- Moderator: Shellie Harter, School Bus Safety Manager, PA Department of Transportation, Bureau of Driver Licensing
Individualizing evacuation plans for students with special needs takes strong teamwork by those who can best predict how the student may react and what they might need during this stressful event. Effective plans take into account the student’s abilities as well as their needs while considering the “whole” child-their communication, behavior, physical development, medical status, ability to process sensory information and cognitive abilities. Team analysis of the student’s CSRS to ensure it provides the proper support throughout the process while allowing for quick and easy egress from the bus in an emergency is vital. To bring the plan to life, an honest evaluation of the physical ability of the staff to execute the plan must be considered. This session will explore each of these areas as well as their impact on the evacuation process to give guidance on customizing effective evacuation plans for students with special needs.
At the conclusion of the activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe elements of an individualized evacuation plan.
- Discuss factors to consider when developing a route-specific evacuation plan.
- Increase awareness of the necessary multi-disciplinary training needed for transportation staff in implementing their passengers’ evacuation plans.
Register On-line: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SchTransp2021
Register By Email or FAX: Complete page 2 of the form available below. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX to 484-446-3036.
This webinar has been pre-approved for 1.5 CEUs for CPS Re-Certification by the National Safe Kids Certification Program. (ID#: 7002)
- If you would like to order materials for use, please visit our online resource center here or call 1-800-CAR-BELT
- To complete the request for CPS CEUs toward re-certification on-line, click here. The CPS CEU request form, provided below, can be completed and submitted by email to email@example.com or sent by FAX to 484-446-3036.
This program is funded by a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.