Clek, Inc. (Clek) is recalling certain Foonf and Fllo convertible car seats.
Clek, Inc. (Clek) is recalling certain Foonf, model numbers FO12 through FO19 (FO13 model number is not included), and Fllo, model numbers FL15 through FL19, convertible child seats manufactured prior to May 21, 2021. A child may pick pieces of foam cushion located under the seat pad.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21C005000
Potential Number of Units Affected:
- Foonf: 89,558
- Fllo: 61, 041
- Foonf Convertible Car Seat; Model Number FO12 through FO19
- Fllo Convertible Car Seat; Model Number FL15 through FL19
- Foonf: December 3, 2012 – May 20, 2021
- Fllo: July 5, 2014 – May 20, 2021
Loose pieces of foam can present a choking hazard to a child, increasing risk of injury.
The Clek Foonf and Fllo Convertible Car Seats include molded expanded polypropylene (EPP) foam cushion under the seat pad. A small number of consumers notified Clek that it is possible for an older child to access and pick small pieces from the EPP foam cushion that is under the seat pad on the Clek Foonf and Fllo convertible car seats. It has been reported that a child can put the small piece of foam into their mouth, nose or ear. Those reports have not included any claims of choking or injury.
Clek has determined that an older child can access the EPP foam cushion with their fingers through the belt opening in the fabric and pick the foam. After repeated picking, it is reported that a child can ultimately pick off a small piece of foam which can pose a choking hazard to a child.
This issue does not affect the ability of the child restraint to protect the occupant in the event of a motor vehicle crash.
Clek plans to provide a molded plastic insert to owners of Foonf and Fllo convertible car seats with instructions on how to assemble it to the car seat. This insert will cover the foam around the crotch belt slots and eliminate access to the foam by the occupant. Clek plans to complete the following activities:
- Clek will send a email notification to all registered owners of Foonf and Fllo convertible car seats to inform them about the issue and the availability of a retrofit kit to address the issue. Or owners, where an email address is not available, Clek will send a post card to the address on file.
- Clek will also make a press release on their website and social media accounts with information on the defect.
- Owners will be instructed how to find the date of manufacturer on their seats. Upon request, Clek will provide owners with seats manufactured before May 21, 2021 with a retrofit kit which will include the molded plastic insert as well as instructions for installation. View notification here.
- Clek will also advise consumers that all Foonf and Fllo seats manufactured on May 21, 2021 and after come with the plastic insert already installed and are not subject to the recall.
How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component:
Clek will provide a molded plastic insert that prevents access to the foam,, along with instructions on how to attach it to the car seat, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed in December 2021. Owners may contact Clek customer service at 1-866-656-2462.
Installation Instructions for Cushion Insert
Clek Recall – Website Information Sheet
Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153) or go to www.safercar.gov.