Review CPS Re-Certification requirements and topics covered in the 2021 – 2022 TIPP CPS Technical Update Class
2021 – 2022 CPS Technical Update Class Overview
Learn more about CPS Re-Certification requirements and what is covered in the 2021 – 2022 TIPP CPS Technical Update Class.
Child Passenger Safety Certification cycle is 2 years. A list of requirements to maintain certification is listed below. TIPP provides a CPS Technical Update class that has been pre-approved for 6 CPS CEUs. An outline of the class is provided below.
Successful completion of a National Standardized Child Passenger Safety Training class certifies an individual as a CPS technician for two years. Each certification cycle for both technicians and instructors is two years. In order to retain your CPS certification, you must successfully complete the recertification process.
There are two general steps to successful recertification:
1. Meet all pre-registration requirements, including:
- Verified seat check activity (5 types)
- Community event (checkup, outreach or educational workshop)
- Continuing education (6 hours)
- If CPSTI, teaching hours (20)
2. Register and pay for recertification (this may be done up to four months prior to your certification cycle end date)
- The recertification fee is $55 for technicians and instructor candidates and $60 for instructors.
Please note: The recertification process cannot be completed in one-day.
The PA Traffic Injury Prevention Project 2021 – 2022 Child Passenger Safety Technical Update
The CPS Technical Update has been approved for 6 CPS CEUs. Participating in the one-day class earns the required 6 hours of continuing education for CPS Recertification.
The 2021 – 2022 CPS Technical Update includes 4 segments that discuss the following: CPS Updates; Rear-Facing Updates; CRS Installation: What Happens When…; and Energy Management Through Engineering Design. This class provides information on technical updates and changes made within the CPS field. Attendees will be given a certificate as proof of attendance in case of an audit by Safe Kids Certification. The class will be offered throughout the State. Scheduled classes will be posted on the TIPP website. If you are interested to host a class in your area, please contact your TIPP Regional Coordinator or the TIPP office at 1-800 CAR BELT.
The PA TIPP 2021 – 2022 CPS Technical Update Course ID# is 7153.
Section 1: 1.0 Hour
- Review 2020 CPS Curriculum Updates including new terminology and tether use in pick-up trucks.
- Highlight MACPS Statements.
- Discuss Counterfeit Car Seats and a comparison of labels meeting FMVSS 213 and those meeting standards in other countries.
Section 2: 1.5 hours
- Discuss car seats starting at 3 pounds for low-birth weight babies.
- Review the Evenflo LiteMax/SafeMax and Summer Infant Affirm 335 car seats and highlight segments of the car seat instruction manuals and Manufacturer FAQs.
- Review the NUNA Pipa and Maxi Cosi Coral XP car seats.
- Discuss availability of higher weight rear-facing car seats.
- Highlight features of the Cybex Sirona S and Evenflo Gold Revolve 360° car seats.
Section 3: 2 Hours
CRS Installation: What Happens When…
- Discuss and provide excerpts from instruction manuals and car seat manufacturer FAQs for the following topics:
- Recline Angle,
- European Shoulder Belt Routing,
- CR Base Overhang,
- Gaps – Allowed or Not allowed,
- Lock-offs vs. Tensioning Devices,
- Rigid LATCH vs. Flexible LATCH,
- Vehicle Seat Protectors, and
- Use of Seat Belt Extenders for BPB
Section 4: 1.5 Hours
Energy Management Through Engineering Design
- Review “Ride Down” as an introduction to car seat design strategies to manage energy.
- Energy management design features discussed will include:
- Energy Absorbing Foam,
- Rigid Lower Anchors/Seat Belt Tensioning Devices/Lock-Offs,
- Impact Absorbing Technology in Car Seat Base,
- Stability / Load Legs,
- Anti-Rebound Bars / Panel,
- European Belt Routing,
- Other Features such as side impact features built into car seats. A sampling of car seats with varying designs of these features will be shown.