School bus transportation is the safest form of ground transportation. Twenty-three million children ride the bus to school everyday – How can you make sure your child is as safe as possible?
Walking to the school bus stop
- Use sidewalks where available when walking to the bus stop or school.
- Always stop at the curb, or any driveway or alley which crosses a sidewalk, to look for traffic.
- Look LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT to make sure the road is clear before you cross the street, and continue to scan while crossing.
- Walk on the far left side of the road facing traffic when there are no sidewalks.
- Always cross at the corner. Young children should cross with a parent, adult or crossing guard.
- Cross only on a new "green" or "walk" light.
- Watch for vehicles backing out of driveways and parking spaces.
- BE SAFE,BE SEEN. Look at the driver and make eye contact to be sure that the driver sees you.
Stay out of the Danger Zone
- The 10 foot area around the school bus.
- Stay 10 giant steps away from the road when waiting for the school bus.