Bicycles have the same rights as cars in PA, but also have to follow the same laws.
- Obey all traffic control devices, signs, and signals.
- Ride on the right side of the road, with traffic.
- If you are riding with a group, ride in single file.
- Watch for vehicles backing out of the driveway - look for tail lights, movement of the tires and listen for the car motor.
- PA Law requires a front white lamp, a rear red reflector and amber reflectors on each side of the bike when used from sunset to sunrise.
- Know and use the bicycle hand signals to help communicate with other vehicles.
This brief video is a good demonstration of cyclists properly using hand signals in traffic:
- Equip your bike with reflectors, a white headlight and a bell or a horn.
- Bright-colored clothing and reflective material help bicyclists to be seen more easily.